At some point, most guys will talk about getting a tattoo – but quite a few will chicken out. There is so much to think about, do you get a simple tattoo design? Or a tattoo design with meaning? Some guys will opt to get a tattoo design with some (special) meaning (or even a hidden meaning).
Ultimately what you decide is up to you. However there are hundreds, if not thousands of designs you can find on Google by doing a simple search.
Here are several tips to remember when you decide that you are going to get inked.
- Don’t rush. Don’t get dared to get a tattoo after a few drinks, whatever you get inked on you is there for life and the last thing you want to do is get the name of an ex-girlfriend showing on your forearm.
- Research the shop. Make sure they have a good reputation, and are known to use clean equipment. Read reviews, verify their health standards.
- Research designs ahead of time, so you are better prepared when you go into the shop.
- Question. Ask as many questions as you need so you feel comfortable with the shop, and the artist that will be working on you.
- Consider the placement.
- Don’t be thrifty… well, cheap. You want quality work, you have to pay for it. Want a shitty job, or a place that doesn’t place client health as a priority? Then go right ahead…
- Before you go – eat a proper meal, and stay hydrated. As we said in the introduction, DO NOT go into a tattoo parlor (are they still called tattoo parlors???) drunk.
- Prepare. Tattoos hurt. This ain’t no henna design you’re getting permanently inked onto your body. If you don’t like blood. Or Pain – you better just move on. Wimp.
- Dress for the occasion. Wear loose fitting clothes, especially if you’re getting a tattoo on your leg – no tight jeans. Depending on the size of the tattoo you could be there for a while, so dress in comfortable clothes.
- Take care of your tattoo!
- Relax (just DO IT – relax, that is — and get the damned tattoo).
Source: Hart and Huntington Tattoo Co.