One word which scares anyone is cancer. Combine that with prostate, and you scare the hell out of most men, which is my November is Prostate Cancer Awareness Month (or Movember). Typically prostate cancer is rare in young men, in fact only one in twelve men that are between 31 and 40 will get prostate cancer. However as you get older, that number increases. Between 51 and 60 one in two men will get prostate cancer and once you are over 80 that increases to eight in ten. So while young males do not need to worry, if you exhibit any of these symptom’s you should get checked out by your doctor.
First if you have a family history of prostate cancer (perhaps a your brother, or father had it then your risk more than doubles), next if you are African-American you are also more likely to get prostate cancer than Caucasians and unfortunately it is more advanced when it is discovered in African-Americans.
What are the actual symptom’s of prostate cancer?
- Frequent urination, especially at night.
- Difficulty in urinating.
- Feeling as if you are not able to get all the urine out.
- Pain urinating, or ejaculating.
- Pelvic pain.
- Needing to urinate more often than normal (especially when nothing has changed with regards to your drinking habits – whether that be soda, alcohol or water)
- Cloudy urine
So what can you do to prevent or reduce the risk of getting prostate cancer? Unfortunately there are no cures because the causes of prostate cancer are still unknown according to the American Cancer Society however most experts recommend eating a healthy diet with lots of fruits and vegetables. As well while herbal supplements have not been proven to prevent prostate cancer, there is no harm in taking herbal supplements either.
There are several high quality, top rated supplements that you can buy from Amazon – we’ve listed three of the top supplements to improve your prostate health, click on the image to learn more about them and place your order on Amazon.
Saw Palmetto Supplement For Prostate Health – Extract & Berry Powder Complex To Promote Healthy Urination Frequency & Flow – May Help Naturally Block DHT – 500mg Capsules
New Chapter Prostate Supplement – Prostate 5LX with Saw Palmetto + Selenium for Prostate Health – 180 ct Vegetarian Capsule
Prost-P10x Prostate Supplement – Doctor Formulated – 100% Better Prostate + Urinary Health – Clinical Strength - Advanced 4-Way Action Formula – Saw Palmetto – Quercetin – Bee Pollen – Pygeum
Besides these top supplements for prostate health, what else can you do?
- Masturbation – yes, believe it or not! An Australian study found that DIY sex may help prevent prostate cancer. The study looked at 2,338 men and showed that the guys who masturbated five or more times a week were 34 percent less likely to develop prostate cancer by age 70. The lead author of the study, Graham Giles, Ph.D., said “Seminal fluid contains substances that are carcinogenic, regular ejaculation may help flush them out.”.
- A study by the NCI found that men who take Propecia for hair loss had 25% less chance of developing prostate cancer. They studies over 18,000 men who had taken Propecia for more than 7-years to come to their conclusion.
- Certain staples in the Mediterranean Diet have helped prevent prostate cancer, specifically men who ate more than 10 grams (g) of garlic or scallions (about three cloves of garlic or 2 tablespoons of scallions) daily have a 50 percent lower risk of prostate cancer than those who eat less than 2 g. Also Resveratrol, an antioxidant found in some plants may help inhibit the growth of prostate cancer.
- Researchers at the Center for Holistic Urology at Columbia-Presbyterian Medical Center in New York City recently found that a blend of herbs including ginger, oregano, rosemary, and green tea reduced prostate-cancer cell growth by 78 percent in the lab. Sold as Zyflamend, a herbal alternative is available.
Regardless of what you choose to do (or not do) if you are at risk for prostate cancer due to your age, family history or ethnicity – let your doctor know and get checked out!